When I spotted this early in the morning, the day seemed full of promising possibilities.
I spent some time working on my photography class assignment, learning about aperture.
And then it was time to get cracking on making my bee blocks, one block design, five different color combinations.
I found a pattern I really liked in a quilt magazine recently. So I printed out the pattern. My first thought--why doesn't it give the dimensions of the block? After looking at the measurements of the individual pieces, it looked like the proper size, 12 1/2 inches unfinished. I started cutting.
I started sewing. Hmmm. This does not look right. Obviously when I sew on the next triangle I'm going to cut off the point of the first triangle. I check the cutting measurements again.
Ah. I see the problem. The instructions call for each strips to be cut at 4 5/8, 6 5/8, 8 5/8 and 10 5/8 inches. They actually need to be cut 4 7/8 , 6 7/8, etc. Ugh. Too short. Time to recut all the strips. (Note to self: Email the magazine and notify them of the error of their ways...)
Okay. This time they fit. Hang on a second...Ugh. I have turned the very first units the wrong way. The first green triangle should be flying in the opposite direction. And I have sewn the yellow strips on the wrong sides of the block. Okay. I get it. This has now become a practice block.
I have either gotten all the "goofs" out of my system and things will fly more smoothly from now on. Or...this is going to be a very long day.