I make one of these donation quilts every other year, and reach a point about this time that a couple of things happen.
Elation: "I can't believe I have made all these gorgeous blocks. I love this quilt!"
Impatience: "I'm so ready to be done and move on to another project."
Complacency: "It's a charitable donation. It's already 'good enough.'"
Self-admonishment: "This is for a cause near and dear to my heart. This needs to be my very best effort."
So Mark and I discussed border options. My first thought was to make a border using strips of the colors in the 12 outside blocks, making the strips a little longer than the block and just butting them up against each other. Mark's idea was to continue the Kona snow sashing in the border as well.
I'm so glad he made that suggestion. And that I listened to him.
Funny guy. He took this picture of me while I was trying to take pictures of the quilt.
All these little threads were trimmed from the back of the quilt, so they won't show through on the front. I could have kept trimming. I finally stopped... Today it goes in the mail to Mark's cousin, Ione, who will work magic with her machine quilting.