Friday, May 17, 2019

Friday Flashback

I have missed two weeks in a row of Really Random Thursday because of many different computer issues. I think things are fixed now--although the Geek Squad has left the ticket open just in case...

So where did I leave off? Oh, yes, I think I was getting ready to leave for another quilting retreat, this time a small one at our friend Dotty's cabin just outside Yosemite. This is the 20th year in a row we have had this retreat and each year is so special.

The sunset on Thursday evening was spectacular.
We went up on Thursday, got all set up and did some sewing. Dotty had been informed ahead of time that the power would be turned off on Friday from 7 a.m. through 3 p.m. Because of that, we did something we never take the time to do--drive into Yosemite Valley. This was a particularly good year, as the waterfalls are spectacular due to all the snowmelt.

It is about a 40-minute drive, and the damage from the Ferguson Fire last summer was way too evident. Actually, we were fortunate to have the retreat this year, as the fire came extremely close to Dotty's cabin.
If you have ever been to Yosemite you know that the first amazing view is after you drive through the tunnel. We had someone take our picture.
Dotty, Vicki, Ruth, Maggie, me

We took time to walk through the Ahwahnee Hotel. Yes, I know it is officially now called The Majestic or something silly like that, due to naming rights. To Californians I'm pretty sure it will always be the Ahwahnee.

The dining room.
Beautiful windows...
Quilty floors...
We had a lovely picnic lunch and then took the small hike to Yosemite Falls.

 It's hard to describe the force of the water.
We got back to the cabin about 3:20, assuming the power would be back on. We were wrong. 5:00 came and went. Dotty had planned to barbecue steaks for dinner. She ended up making the whole meal on the BBQ. The sun went down, and still no power. She found out that the outage was pretty much the whole Yosemite valley, and that the power company was waiting for a part. For the second time that day, we did something we never take the time to do, sit around and just visit. Don't get me wrong--we do plenty of chatting while we sew. But this was different, and intentional out of necessity. It was a lovely evening. Finally at about 9:45, with flashlights in hand, we went downstairs to sleep, hoping that the power would come on during the night. At about 10:02, Maggie and I heard a couple of small beeps. We had plugged our phones into the chargers "just in case," and when we heard those beeps we knew the power was back on.

Hurray! Much sewing was accomplished the next couple of days!

Vicki made this adorable dress for her kitty-loving granddaughter (among many other things she made--she is always very productive).
I worked on blocks for a basket sampler I've wanted to make for years.
I also brought along some bags of selvages to start blocks for my selvage quilt. While I've made a lot of selvage projects, I have yet to make a quilt.
Dotty finished a t-shirt quilt for her granddaughter.
And this amazing clock quilt for a grandson who has loved clocks since he was a small boy.

Ruth made some great things as well--and I'm not sure where those pictures are. :(

Maggie mostly did paperwork this well as a couple of precarious things--changing the clock to the correct time:

Walking the plank to see the inside of this new cabin.
Maggie and I don't get to spend nearly enough time together so this was a wonderful weekend.

Again, this is one of the weekends I cherish the most during the year--such special friends.

When I got back home, it seemed like forever since I had spent time with my grandkids. So during the first week back I took each of them out on a date.  Charlotte and I went out for pizza (and I forgot to take a picture during dinner, but took one later in the week).
Levi and I went to Sonic Drive-in during "happy hour" and he got a cherry limeade slushy with Nerds.
Ella and I went to the zoo--she loves their macaroni and cheese. Although I think that girl could eat mac and cheese pretty much every day.
And then she showed me the water playground, which I hadn't seen before.
Gabe had never been to Red Robin Restaurant, and that was his choice.
I love spending individual time with each of them.

If you are at all squeamish at the sight of needles, skip through the next couple of pictures. I've been getting acupuncture treatments for severe arthritis in my thumb. I'm not yet sure how effective it is, but Mark says I haven't been complaining as much.
I also got a tattoo this week, something I've been wanting to do for awhile. The hymn, "It is Well With My Soul" is a very special one in our family. I had been putting off making the appointment, and then I was diagnosed with cancer and had to go through treatment. While I realize a lot of people are against tattoes, now that I'm at the six-month mark and have had a clear mammogram, it seemed fitting and very meaningful.

Mark and I went to a craft fair on Mother's Day. A local artist had a booth with folded-page books that were amazing. I didn't hesitate for a minute before I grabbed this one.
I have been in contact with her, and some time in June we will be doing a give-away on Instagram. You won't want to miss it!

Before they stopped by with flowers and a really nice card, these came to my phone. They make me smile.

We have been having so much rain in the valley lately. Last night was Levi's open house and choral concert. There was an absolutely gorgeous rainbow. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the whole thing.
In his fifth grade class, each student chooses a state to research. They also have to make some food item common in that state.

Levi chose Missouri.

And I'm telling you, this Missouri butter cake was scrumptious!
The choir concert was great as well.
This morning, Mark and I went out for breakfast, and on the way home passed this stunning bougainvillea.
I had to spend the entire afternoon waiting at home for the Geek Squad to come fix my computer, so I missed Levi's softball game. But Mark went.

I like this picture of his violin case and backpack, a nice combination of interests.
So that about sums up the last couple of weeks.

But I can't leave with a couple of funny things, right?

Haha, number 1. The night before I left for Yosemite, Mark and I were in the E.R. for about six hours with my father, for a check-up as he had fallen and struck his head (he is fine). I can't even remember how I found this picture, but it seemed appropriate for an E.R.

Haha, number 2. In Sunday's paper.
Hope your weekend is a good one.


05 08
stitchinpenny said... #

I have to say to you the same thing I said to my daughter when she got a tattoo knowing I don't like them. It is your body, your tattoo, and it makes you happy so just forget the rest of the world. In your case you probably discussed it with Mark and your doctor, but who else matters.

Needled Mom said... #

I always love the end chuckles on your posts. Yosemite must be incredible this year after all of the rains. The pictures were great and it sounds like you made the most of your power outage.

It's so nice to have special time with each of the children. They grow up too quickly.

My last few weeks have been the same, computer issues, two faucets went out, washing machine broke, cable box had to be replaced. Sheesh!

OPQuilt said... #

Another lovely chronicle of Life at Cindy's and what fun it was to read. The pictures from the fire are sobering, but I'm glad you were able to go to Yosemite--that's where I was proposed to by my Dave (and I accepted). Happy to know you are at at the six months mark!

Farm Quilter said... #

It is well...because we know who is in control!! So blessed to have such good friends to spend time with at retreat with in Yosemite...glad the power finally came back on for you. You are also so blessed to get to spend so much time with your grandchildren, too few of us actually have that opportunity. Love your funnies!! I actually taught on of Brian Crane's children the first year I was teaching!

Robby said... #

That was a roundup worth waiting for. Lots to aspire to here, time with friends, time with younger family members and doing things you want to do for yourself. I am going to gently suggest that your "Live a Colorful Life" attitude might want to just sneak by those crayon colors you showed us. Whooo boy!

Deb Cox said... #

Dearest Cindy, congratulations on your 6 month mark. It's one day at a time and you have so many little celebrations to help you along your way. Thanks again for sharing your life with words and photos.